Principal oboist Alecia L. Lawyer began the River Oaks Chamber Orchestra (ROCO) in 2005 in order to formulate “personal relationships through the language of music.” This focus is reflected in some of the subtle nuances of the ensemble—such as its frequent collaborations with guest conductors as opposed to one artistic director/conductor, and its annual Conductorless! Valentine’s Concert.
Works by composers such as Haydn, Elgar, Ravel, and Stravinsky share concert billing with premieres by Derek Bermel, Michael McLean, Brad Sayles, and others. The orchestra’s concert season is supplemented by the ROCOrooters program for families, the chamber music series ROCO Collaborations, the ROCO Music Tastings, which pair an evening of music with wine or beer tastings, as well as solo concerts and performances by amateur ensembles.
River Oaks Chamber Orchestra Information
- Venues: The Church of St. John the Divine, 2450 River Oaks Boulevard; other venues vary by concert
- Public Transportation: Good for Church of St. John the Divine (steps from buses 81 and 82 at Westheimer Road/River Oaks Boulevard). Other venues vary
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for most
- Performances: Approximately 20 concerts per season
- Ticket Prices: Regular tickets $25; Donor tickets $20; Students $10
- Subscriptions: ROCO in Concert Series $75 (Donor Tickets $60; Students $30). ROCOrooters subscriptions are $60 for 1st child; $105 for 2nd child; $150 for 3rd child
- Donors: Contributor $50; Supporter $150; Enthusiast $300; Friend $500; Founder $1000; Patron $2,500. Benefits include program recognition, subscription discounts, and more