This collegiate ensemble of 75 singers, among the elite choirs in the country, began in 1912. The choir is distinguishable by its clarity of tone and text, and for its warm collective timbre. it has performed throughout the U.S., has recorded 25 albums and has participated in 13 international tours.
The group’s repertoire is varied—featuring compositions by Bach, Brahms, Charles Ives, Frank Martin, and Eric Whitacre, and more, as well as the canon of hymns. A signature annual event of particular note is the St. Olaf Christmas Festival—a celebration featuring five choirs and the St. Olaf Orchestra—that also began in 1912 and is broadcast on television and on radio.
St. Olaf Choir Information
- Other Venues: Boe Memorial Chapel at St. Olaf University, Orchestra Hall (1111 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis)
- Public Transportation: Good for St. Olaf University locations (Northfield Transit has a stop at the college). Excellent for the Orchestra Hall (steps from Metro Transit buses 10, 11, 17, 18, and 25 at 11th Street/Nicollet Mall, and a short walk from bus 20 at 10th Street/Nicollet Mall)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for all locations
- Performances/Programs: 10-15 concerts per season
- Ticket Prices: All Home events are free (with the exception of the Christmas Festival). Prices vary for all other concerts.