The Minnesota Opera began as an “alternative” opera company in the 1960s but eventually altered its experimental nature in the ‘80s to include more standard repertoire. Now dedicated to offering a broad range of operas, Minnesota Opera maintains a strong commitment to the values defined within the Bel Canto philosophy and offers at least one opera from the Bel Canto period each season.
The Minnesota Opera Information
- Public Transportation: Good (accessible to nearby bus service)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good, Ordway Center is accessible
- Performances/Programs: Five productions per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: $20–$200, with prices varying depending on date and seats selected. Students and seniors may qualify for additional discounts; call for information
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Full Five-opera subscriptions available for $135–$755. Create your own Three- and Four-opera subscriptions also available. Subscriber benefits include flexible ticket exchanges, discounted tickets for family and friends, free lost ticket replacement, free season preview CD, discounts on education classes
- Membership: Available from $50–$20,000+. Based on donation amount, member benefits include rehearsal passes, program recognition, personal tours of the Opera, complimentary parking, Opera News subscription, copies of libretti for the season’s productions, and invites to special events.