Providing one of the most striking dance theater experiences in the country today, Jacques Heim’s L.A. based Diavolo Dance Theatre consists of unpredictable athletic feats that defy gravity and possibility with their daring use of acrobatics, athletics, grace, and teamwork.
Founded in 1992, Diavolo was created to “examine the funny and frightening ways individuals act with their environment.” The powerful interactions with enormous structural elements and surrealistic set pieces attest to Heim’s ability to raise the bar regarding our perceptions. With adrenaline running high, performers and spectators alike become enmeshed in an experience that transports and heightens conventional expectation.
The company of combination dancers, gymnasts, and daredevils tours nationally and internationally and has received many accolades, including the “Best of the Fest” award at the Edinburgh Festival where they made their European debut in 1995. Heim has been named as one of the “Faces to Watch in the Arts” by the LA Times, as well as one of the “100 Coolest People in LA” by Buzz Magazine. Among many other commissions, he was hired to choreograph the Cirque du Soleil show, Ka, in Las Vegas, which is still running.
In addition to DDT’s performance schedule, the company provides outreach and educational workshops, such as Learning to Fly, as well as residency programs. Their ever-increasing repertoire of hair-raising, compelling, and powerful work makes Diavolo Dance Theater a company to be reckoned with.
- Michele Kadison
Diavolo Dance Theatre Information
- Oher Venues: Recent performance locations have included the Hollywood Bowl and UCLA’s Freud Playhouse
- Public Transportation: Fair (2-minute walk from bus 76 at Main Street/Avenue 20)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Diavolo tours with selections of about a dozen pieces and generally performs in each location for one or two days. The company also regularly holds open informal showings of their work at their own studio located at 616 Moulton Avenue. Contact the company business manager for exact dates
- Ticket Prices: Tickets generally run $15–$40.