Now in its 25th season, Horizon Theatre Company specializes in productions of contemporary plays. According to The Atlanta Journal Constitution, “In seeking out literature that enlightens us about the world beyond our borders, Horizon has done a vast community service.” The company, which has been led by co-artistic directors and founders Lisa and Jeff Adler since its inception in 1983, can take credit for having introduced Atlanta audiences to the works of such writers as Rebecca Gilman, Wendy Wasserstein, and David Hare, as well as plays by talented emerging authors.
Among the many plays and musicals Horizon has produced in its 175-seat theatre, located in Atlanta’s Little Five Points business and arts district, are Steven Dietz’s Shooting Star, Frank Higgins’s Black Pearl Sings, Heather Raffo’s 9 Parts of Desire, Margaret Baldwin’s Night Blooms, Shay Youngblood’s Shakin’ the Mess Outta Misery, and David Sedaris’s The Santaland Diaries. To date, Horizon has presented 80 Atlanta and Southeastern premieres, including 13 world premieres.
In addition to its five-play mainstage season, the company develops new plays through workshops, readings, and its annual New South Play Festival, dedicated to works from, for, and/or about the South. New audiences and artists are developed through the Horizon Playwriting Education and Senior Citizen Ensemble programs.
Horizon Theatre Company Information
- Public Transportation: Good (easily accessible by MARTA)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is generally Wednesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $20–$35. Discounted prices are available for students and seniors. The theater also offers occasional pay-what-you-can nights. Single tickets can be exchanged for another performance for a $5 fee with a 24-hour notice
- Group Discounts: Discounts are available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Subscriptions are available for as little as $50. Benefits include ability to exchange tickets for free, reserved seating, discounts to the company’s holiday show, and free admission to New South Festival events.