This is the Southeast’s only museum dedicated to design. Its exhibition subjects include architecture, industrial and product design, interiors and furniture, graphics, fashion, and more. An affiliate of the Smithsonian, it was formerly known as the Atlanta International Museum of Art & Design. It has presented exhibitions on the furniture of Eero Saarinen, design made in Georgia, and contemporary works by Ichiyo Ikebana.
The museum is currently showing exhibitions on suburban design in the 21st century, the intersection of garment production and technology, and emerging Japanese architects.
Besides holding regular exhibitions, the museum also has ongoing events. On the first Thursday of every month, it participates in downtown Atlanta’s arts walk by offering free admission during extended hours from 5pm to 8pm. It’s AVANT! program gathers on the third Thursday of each month for dinner and discussion of design.
Museum of Design Atlanta Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (MARTA bus N1/ Peachtree Center Station is steps away from the museum)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Saturday 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. On the first Thursday of every month the Museum’s hours will be extended until 8 p.m. for downtown Atlanta’s monthly arts walk. Museum is closed Sunday, Monday, and most major holidays
- Admission: Adults $10; seniors and military $8; students w/ID $5; members free. For downtown Atlanta’s monthly art walk, the first Thursday of every month, the museum offers free admission
- Tour: Museum-trained volunteer docent-led tours are available Wednesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m.–2 p.m. For school, adult, college, and senior groups, docent-led and self-guided tours are available at special group rates. Call 404-979-6455 Ext. 2 for more information
- Membership: Students w/ID $25; Avant Guard $50, Journeyman $100; Artisan $250; Craftsman $500; Master $1000. Sponsorship Packages also available and the levels are Advocate $1000; Aficionado $3500; Enthusiast $5000. All members receive a subscription to the E-Newsletter, free Admission to Museum Exhibitions, 10% off Museum Merchandise, and validated parking on Saturdays
- Other Benefits: Journeyman level and above members receive a gold North American Reciprocal sticker on their membership cards, entitling them to free admission during regular museum hours as well as member discounts at museum shops and on concert/lecture tickets of participating museums. For a full list of membership level benefits, please visit the museum website.