The Round House Theatre produces plenty of new plays, but the company’s true love is the literary adaptation, as evidenced by its Helen Hayes Award-nominated Literary Works Project. Through this project, Round House has produced numerous stage versions of classics as varied as Camille and Crime and Punishment, adaptations of contemporary novels like A Prayer for Owen Meany, and both dramatic and musical renderings of children’s favorites.
To fulfill its mission of making theater a community-building pursuit, Round House has found a number of wonderful ways to get people of all ages and backgrounds into the act. The Sarah Play is an annual show entirely put together by area high schoolers, who do all onstage, backstage, and creative duties (Round House simply provides the resources). At the other end of the spectrum is the Heyday Players, a senior-citizen performance troupe that puts together theatricals that they perform for other seniors at community centers, libraries, and schools throughout the D.C. area.
Young, old, and everyone in between is invited to take free 60-minute theater classes during Free-for-All Fridays at the Round House Theatre Education Center. And for artists in need of support, Round House has created a theater lab known as the Kitchen, where “the Cooks” (that is, writers, designers, actors, and other artists) are given rehearsal and performance space, classes at the Education Center, and opportunities for development—all at no cost.
Round House Theatre Information
- Other Venues: Round House Theatre Silver Spring, 8641 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, Maryland
- Public Transportation: Good (both venues)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Wednesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $25–$50, $25 tickets for people 25-and-under, 20% discounts for seniors, two pay-what-you-can performances offered for each production, discounts for groups of 10 or more, shows available on Goldstar.com
- Subscriptions: Five-Show $185–$255, Four-Show $151–$207, and Three-Show $117–$159. FlexPass: five-admission $240, four-admission $195, and three-admission $150. Benefits include ticket exchanges.