The United States is one of the few countries where the political capital is not the cultural capital, but Washington, D.C., America’s capital city still has an excellent arts scene, in particular several world-class museums that are totally free of charge, plus a theater with an interesting historical past.
Washington Arts Information
- Washington City Paper—Free weekly newspaper with excellent reviews and art listings
- Washingtonian—Glossy monthly with good arts articles and listings
- Washington Post—Though more famous for its political coverage, this daily newspaper does a fine job of covering the high points of the D.C. arts scene
- Cultural Alliance of Greater Washington—Dedicated to sustaining and increasing regional leadership, appreciation, support, and resources for arts and culture
- D.C. Theater Scene —“Washington’s Liveliest Theater Website.”
- D.C. Metro Theater Arts – Run by longtime theater critic Joel Markowitz, this relatively new site is full of info about all things D.C. theater.