Founded in 1989, OBT has lost no time in establishing itself as a nationally recognized ballet company and building up a strong repertory of works, including full-length classic story ballets and Balanchine standards, as well as more current works by William Forsythe and Christopher Wheeldon. Additionally, OBT has commissioned a number of original works by contemporary choreographers. In 2008, the company was honored to be one of nine companies chosen to perform in the Kennedy Center’s Ballet Across America festival.
Each summer, Oregon Ballet Theatre opens itself up entirely to the local community for one week by relocating to a tented rehearsal space in South Park Blocks. Passersby become privy to the inner workings of OBT in preparation for the upcoming season and are welcome to stop by, chat, or set up a picnic and watch! This program, known as OBT Exposed, also incorporates their annual Choreographers Institute, where guest artists create new work on OBT students and apprentices. Informal showings and discussions of the week’s activities are scheduled on Saturday and all guests are welcome to observe and participate free of charges.
Oregon Ballet Theatre Information
- Venues: Keller Auditorium (222 Southwest Clay Street); Newmark Theatre (1111 Southwest Broadway – located inside the PCPA building)
- Public Transportation: Very Good (both venues are within a 5-minute walk from several buses and the light rail lines)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for both venues
- Performances/Programs: Four repertory programs each year plus the annual Nutcracker. Each show runs for one or two weeks
- Ticket Prices: Range from $15–$130
- Group Discounts: Groups of 10 or more receive discounts, and handling charges are waived
- Subscriptions: Subscriptions range from $33–$255 depending on seating selection. No returns. Subscribers can exchange tickets online. Subscriber benefits include extra savings on tickets to the Nutcracker; discounts at the Oregon Symphony, Portland Center Stage, and the Portland Opera; and an online subscriber account and invitations to special events
- Membership: Donor fees start at $100. Benefits include invitations to studio rehearsals, priority seating and a name listing in OBT playbills
- Special Membership for Young Adults: OBT Associates is a newly formed organization aimed at young professionals. Annual membership is $25. Benefits include $15 tickets, and invitations to special events.